Haratu – Maori Art Gallery and Retail Shop
(Open Mondays through Saturdays, 10-4)
- Showcasing local artists, carvers and weavers.
- Supporting local product and Maori enterprise
Haratu is administered by the Kororareka Marae Society a charitable organisation committed to supporting local Maori wellbeing.
To learn more about Kororareka Russell’s history from a Maori context and pre-European history, then join us on our Hikoi Tahi Walking Tours, which are run daily at 2.00 pm.
Formerly the home of the Department of Conservation, the building provides a Maori cultural presence for the community.
Opened on 11th December 2009, the premises offer:
- retail presence, featuring Maori arts and craft
- venue hire for small groups and conferences
- a venue for educational purposes focusing on tikanga Maori
- administration facilities for the Kororareka Marae